What is it?
Sea Cucumber is an herbal medicine used to improve the body's ability to fight infection. It is also used to improve muscle strength and to treat arthritis, inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle pain, and high blood pressure.
Other names for Sea Cucumber include: Stichopus Japonicus Selenka, Beche-de-Mer, Sea Slug, and Trepang.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
- are taking medicine or are allergic to any medicine (prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) or dietary supplement)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine
- are breastfeeding
- have any other health problems, such as high blood pressure or heart or blood vessel disease
Talk with your caregiver about how much Sea Cucumber you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking Sea Cucumber. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the medicine bottle. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than the directions tell you to.
To store this medicine:
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
Drug and Food Interactions:
Do not take Sea Cucumber without talking to your doctor first if you are taking:
- Digoxin (Lanoxin(R))
- Before taking Sea Cucumber, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Use with caution when a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) diagnosis of Deficient Spleen pattern is present with diarrhea (1)
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects. Your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it.
- Breathing problems or tightness in your throat or chest
- Chest pain
- Skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin
Other Side Effects:
This medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.
1. Sims JK: A theoretical discourse on the pharmacology of toxic marine ingestions. Ann Emerg Med 1987; 16(9):1006-1015.
2. Yong-Xing MA, Chuan-Fu W, Zhen-Yan YU et al: The age-retarding effect of Reinhardt and Sea Cucumber capsule (RSC). Annals of the NY Acad of Sci 1998; 854:513-514.
Last Updated: 9/4/2017