What is it?
Liver Extracts are parts of the liver taken from cows, sheep, and pigs. The extracts are used as a source of vitamins and minerals, including iron. They are also used to improve liver function, increase endurance, and to treat chronic liver disease.
Other names for Liver Extracts include: Aqueous Liver Extracts and Liver Hydrolysate.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
- are taking medicine or are allergic to any medicine (prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) or dietary supplement)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine
- are breastfeeding
- have any other health problems, such as high blood pressure or heart or blood vessel disease
Talk with your caregiver about how much Liver Extracts you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking Liver Extracts. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the medicine bottle. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than the directions tell you to.
To store this medicine:
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
- Before taking Liver Extracts, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Liver Extracts should not be used in patients with any iron-storage disorder such as hemochromatosis (1)
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects. Your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it.
- Breathing problems or tightness in your throat or chest
- Chest pain
- Skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin
Other Side Effects:
This medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.
1. Murray, MT: Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements. Prima Publishing, Rocklin, CA; 1996.
2. Nagai K: A study of the excretory mechanism of the liver--effect of liver hydrolysate on BSP excretion. Jap J Gastroenterol 1970;67:633-638.
3. Fujisawa K, Suzuki H, Yamamoto S et al: Therapeutic effects of liver hydrolysate preparation on chronic hepatitis- A double blind, controlled study. Asian Med J 1984; 26:497-526.
Last Updated: 7/4/2017