What is it?
Alpha-linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid that is used as a supplement for general health, benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), and diabetes.
Other names for alpha-linoleic acid include: ALA and Omega-3 Oils.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
- are taking medicine or are allergic to any medicine (prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) or dietary supplement)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine
- are breastfeeding
- have any other health problems, such as high blood pressure or heart or blood vessel disease
Talk with your caregiver about how much alpha-linoleic acid you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking alpha-linoleic acid. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the medicine bottle. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than the directions tell you to.
To store this medicine:
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
- Before taking alpha-linoleic acid, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Call your doctor right away if you have any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: itching or hives, swelling in your face or hand, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing, or rash.
- Chest pain (3)
Other Side Effects:
You may have the following side effects, but this medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.
- Back pain (3)
- Bloated, burping, heart burn, indigestion, sense of taste altered (3)
- Diarrhea, excess gas, and upset stomach (2,3)
1. Lininger S (ed): The Natural Pharmacy. Prima Health Publishing, Rocklin, CA; 1998.
2. Fetrow C & Avila J: Professional's Handbook of Complementary and Alternative . Medicines. Springhouse Corporation, Springhouse, PA; 1999.
3. Product Information: LOVAZA(TM) oral capsules, omega-3-acid ethyl esters oral capsules. Reliant Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Liberty Corner, NJ, 2007.
Last Updated: 11/4/2017