What is it?
Henbane is an herbal medicine that is used for spasms of the urinary tract, stomach cramps, asthma, and tremors in the elderly.
Other names for Henbane include: Hyoscyamus Niger and Hyoscyami folium.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
- are taking medicine or are allergic to any medicine (prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) or dietary supplement)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine
- are breastfeeding
- have any other health problems, such as high blood pressure or heart or blood vessel disease
Talk with your caregiver about how much Henbane you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking Henbane. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the medicine bottle. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than the directions tell you to.
To store this medicine:
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
- Before taking Henbane, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- The dose at which Henbane is effective is very close to the amount that will cause overdose. Symptoms of overdose are: dry mouth, swallowing problems, large pupils, fast heartbeat, feeling restless, hallucinations, delirium, and coma (1)
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects. Your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it.
- Breathing problems or tightness in your throat or chest
- Chest pain
- Skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin
Other Side Effects:
You may have the following side effects, but this medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.
- Dry mouth, problems swallowing, large pupils, fast heartbeat, restlessness, hallucination, and possibly coma from using the wrong amount (1,2)
1. Bradley PR (ed): British Herbal Compendium, Vol. 1: a handbook of scientific information on widely used plant drugs. British Herbal Medicine Association, Bournemouth, Dorset, UK; 1992.
2. Blumenthal, Busse, Goldberg, et al: The Complete German Commission E Monographs: Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. The American Botanical Council, Austin, TX; 1998.
Last Updated: 5/4/2018