What is it?
Gou-Ten is an herbal medicine used to treat high blood pressure and seizures (uncontrollable shaking). It may also be used to help you relax (a sedative).
Other names for Gou-Ten include: Gou-Teng, Nauclea Rhynchophylla Miquel, Ourouparia rhynchophylla Miquel, and Chotoko.
Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you need more information about this medicine or if any information in this leaflet concerns you.
Tell your doctor if you
- are taking medicine or are allergic to any medicine (prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) or dietary supplement)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine
- are breastfeeding
- have low blood pressure
- have any other health problems, such as high blood pressure or heart or blood vessel disease
Talk with your caregiver about how much Gou-ten you should take. The amount depends on the strength of the medicine and the reason you are taking Gou-ten. If you are using this medicine without instructions from your caregiver, follow the directions on the medicine bottle. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than the directions tell you to.
To store this medicine:
Keep all medicine locked up and away from children. Store medicine away from heat and direct light. Do not store your medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink, or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down and not work the way it should work. Throw away medicine that is out of date or that you do not need. Never share your medicine with others.
- Before taking Gou-Ten, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Do not use if you have low blood pressure (2)
Stop taking your medicine right away and talk to your doctor if you have any of the following side effects. Your medicine may be causing these symptoms which may mean you are allergic to it.
- Breathing problems or tightness in your throat or chest
- Chest pain
- Skin hives, rash, or itchy or swollen skin
Other Side Effects:
You may have the following side effects, but this medicine may also cause other side effects. Tell your doctor if you have side effects that you think are caused by this medicine.
- May cause the size of blood vessels to increase (vasodilation) and low blood pressure (hypotension) (1)
- You may notice that you breathe faster when taking this medicine (1)
1. Keyes JD: Chinese Herbs. Their Botany, Chemistry, and Pharmacodynamics. Charles E. Tuttle Company, Tokyo, Japan; 1976.
2. Aisaka K, Hattori Y, Kihara T et al: Hypotensive action of 3-alpha-dihydrocadambine. An indole alkaloid glycoside of Uncaria hooks. Planta Med 1985; 51:424-427.
Last Updated: 7/4/2018