Amino acids in dextrose (By injection)
Amino Acids, Dextrose (DEX-trose)
Provides your body with needed calories and proteins when oral nutrition is not enough or is impossible. Also treats negative nitrogen balance in the blood.
ClinimixThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to amino acids or dextrose, or if you have an inborn error of amino acid metabolism, pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs), or acidosis (too much acid in the blood).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, diabetes, or lung or breathing problems.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Blood clot in the lungs or veins
- Increased risk of infections, including sepsis
- Refeeding syndrome (in severely undernourished patients)
- High blood sugar
- Liver problems, including parenteral nutrition associated liver disease (PNALD)
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, bloody urine, painful or difficult urination, lower back or side pain
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, coughing up blood, cold sweat, bluish-colored skin
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.