Cerliponase alfa (By injection)
Cerliponase Alfa (ser-LIP-oh-nase AL-fa)
Treats late infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis type 2 (CLN2).
BrineuraThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to cerliponase alfa.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given into the cerebrospinal fluid using an infusion pump system through a tube placed inside your head.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You may be given other medicines at least 30 to 60 minutes before you receive this medicine to help prevent infusion reactions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a history of heart disease, heart rhythm problem, low blood pressure, or a slow heartbeat. Tell your doctor if you have had surgery on your head.
- This medicine may cause infusion-associated reactions.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches
- Headache, vomiting
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Slow heartbeat
- Unusual bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Feeling anxious, restless
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.