Saxagliptin/dapagliflozin (By mouth)
Dapagliflozin (dap-a-gli-FLOE-zin), Saxagliptin (sax-a-GLIP-tin)
Treats type 2 diabetes.
QternThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to saxagliptin or dapagliflozin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed. This medicine is usually taken in the morning.
- Tablet: Swallow whole. Do not cut, break, or chew it.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how saxagliptin/dapagliflozin works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Atazanavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, itraconazole, ketoconazole, nefazodone, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, telithromycin
- Blood pressure medicine
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Insulin or other diabetes medicine
- NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (including aspirin, celecoxib, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, high cholesterol, or a history of pancreas problems, genital yeast or urinary tract infections, or bladder cancer. Tell your doctor if you are on a low-salt diet or if you drink alcohol.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Heart failure
- Low blood pressure
- Ketoacidosis (high ketones and acid in the blood)
- Kidney damage
- Increased risk of genital yeast or urinary tract infections
- Low blood sugar
- Serious skin reactions
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results. This medicine may affect the results of urine glucose tests.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, bloody urine, painful or difficult urination, lower back or side pain, fever, chills
- Increased hunger, headache, confusion, shaking, trembling, sweating
- Large, hard skin blisters
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Severe joint pain
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, lightheadedness
- Trouble breathing, tiredness, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, itching, pain, or swelling of the penis, bad-smelling discharge from the penis
- White or yellow vaginal discharge, vaginal itching or odor
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.