Dasabuvir/ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir (By mouth)
Dasabuvir (da-SA-bue-vir), Ombitasvir (om-BIT-as-vir), Paritaprevir (par-i-TA-pre-vir), Ritonavir (rit-OH-na-vir)
Treats chronic hepatitis C infection.
Viekira XRThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, or ritonavir.
How to Use This Medicine:
Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with alfuzosin, cisapride, colchicine, dronedarone, efavirenz, gemfibrozil, lovastatin, lurasidone, oral midazolam, pimozide, ranolazine, rifampin, sildenafil (when used for pulmonary hypertension), simvastatin, St John's wort, triazolam, medicine to treat seizures (including carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin), or ergot medicines. Do not take medicine that contains estrogen (ethinyl estradiol), including birth control pills.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Acetaminophen/hydrocodone, alprazolam, buprenorphine/naloxone, carisoprodol, cyclobenzaprine, cyclosporine, diazepam, fluticasone, furosemide, ketoconazole, metformin, omeprazole, pravastatin, quetiapine, rosuvastatin, salmeterol, tacrolimus, voriconazole
- Blood pressure medicine (including amlodipine, candesartan, diltiazem, losartan, nifedipine, valsartan, verapamil)
- Medicine to treat heart rhythm problems (including amiodarone, bepridil, disopyramide, flecainide, lidocaine, mexiletine, propafenone, quinidine)
- Medicine to treat HIV infection (including atazanavir, atazanavir/ritonavir, darunavir/ritonavir, lopinavir/ritonavir, rilpivirine)
- Do not drink alcohol within 4 hours of taking this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease other than hepatitis C or HIV infection. Tell your doctor if you had a liver transplant.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.