Riboflavin 5-phosphate (Into the eye)
Riboflavin 5-Phosphate (RYE-boe-flay-vin 5 FOS-fate)
Treats progressive keratoconus and corneal ectasia following refractive surgery.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to riboflavin 5-phosphate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other healthcare professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given as eye drops and is used with the KXL® System. Your doctor will perform an eye procedure after you receive this medicine.
- Do not rub your eyes for 5 days after your eye procedure.
- If the bandage that was placed on your eye falls out or becomes loose, do not replace it. Call your doctor right away.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have other eye problems.
- This medicine may cause your eyes to become more sensitive to light. It may help to wear sunglasses and avoid exposure to bright light.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision or other vision changes
- Eye pain, irritation, redness, or swelling
- Increased sensitivity to light
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry eyes
- Feeling that something is in your eye
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.