Deoxycholic acid (By injection)
Deoxycholic Acid (des-ox-i-KOE-lik AS-id)
Helps improve the appearance of excess fat below the chin.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to deoxycholic acid, or if you have an infection at the injection site.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given as a shot into the fat under your chin.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how deoxycholic acid works. Tell your doctor if you are using a blood thinner (including warfarin).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have trouble swallowing, bleeding problems, or a medical condition in or near your neck (including thyroid or lymph node problems). Tell your doctor if you had or plan to have surgery or cosmetic treatment on your face, neck, or chin.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Nerve injury in the jaw
- Bleeding or bruising in the treatment area
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Trouble swallowing
- Uneven smile or muscle weakness in the face
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, bruising, itching, numbness, redness, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot is given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.