Fibrin sealant (On the skin)
Fibrinogen (fye-BRIN-oh-jen), Thrombin, Human (THROM-bin, HUE-man)
Controls bleeding during surgery.
RaplixaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to fibrinogen, thrombin, or other human blood products.
How to Use This Medicine:
- This medicine is applied during surgery. It may be used with a sponge or a spray applicator.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may cause blood clots.
- This medicine is made from donated human blood. Human donors and donated blood are both tested for viruses, but there is still a small risk that human blood could contain a virus. Talk with your doctor about this risk if you are concerned.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, or coughing up blood
- Numbness or weakness on one side of your body, sudden or severe headache, problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.