Cholic acid (By mouth)
Cholic Acid (koe-lik As-id)
Treats bile acid synthesis disorders and peroxisomal disorders (including Zellweger spectrum disorders).
CholbamThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- If you cannot swallow the capsule, you may open the capsule and mix the contents with 1 to 2 tablespoons of infant formula or breast milk, or soft food (such as mashed potatoes or apple puree). This mixture must be swallowed immediately.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how cholic acid works. Tell your doctor if you are using cyclosporine.
- If you are also taking cholestyramine, colesevelam, colestipol, or aluminum-containing antacids, take cholic acid at least 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after these medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you have liver disease, or if you or a family member has familial hypertriglyceridemia.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.