13c urea and citric acid (By mouth)
Used as part of a breath test to diagnose Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infections in the stomach.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A healthcare provider will give you this medicine as part of a breath test. Do not eat for at least 1 hour before the test.
- During the test, you will be asked to drink a liquid solution of this medicine. You must drink the solution within 2 minutes, using a straw.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect the results of this test. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Medicine containing bismuth
- Proton pump inhibitor (PPI)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have phenylketonuria, have had stomach surgery, or have other stomach problems.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/16/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.