Ferric citrate (By mouth)
Ferric Citrate (FER-ik SI-trate)
Controls phosphorus levels and treats iron deficiency anemia in patients with chronic kidney disease.
AuryxiaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you have a medical condition that causes high levels of iron in your blood.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Do not crush or chew the tablets. This may cause discoloration of your mouth and teeth.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how ferric citrate works. If you are using doxycycline, take it at least 1 hour before you take this medicine. If you are using ciprofloxacin, take it at least 2 hours before or after you take this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have stomach or bowel problems (including bleeding or inflammatory bowel disease).
- This medicine may cause dark stools. This is normal.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone. An overdose in a child could cause death.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe stomach pain, vomiting blood
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dark stools
- Diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 5/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved