Tavaborole (On the skin)
Treats fungal infection of the toenails.
KerydinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Use this medicine as directed.
- This medicine is for use on the toenails and surrounding skin only. Do not use it in the eyes, mouth, or vagina.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Your toenails must be clean and dry when you put the medicine on.
- Use the dropper tip to apply the medicine over the entire toenail and under the tip of the toenail.
- Wipe away any excess liquid from the surrounding skin. Let the medicine dry completely after you apply it.
- Ask your doctor before you use nail polish or other nail products (such as gel nails or acrylic nails) while you are being treated with this medicine.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Throw away any unused medicine after 3 months.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine can catch fire. Do not use it near heat, an open flame, or while smoking.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning, itching, pain, stinging, or redness at the application site
- Ingrown toenail
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.