Posaconazole (By injection)
Treats or prevents fungus infections.
NoxafilThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to posaconazole or similar medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with atorvastatin, lovastatin, pimozide, quinidine, simvastatin, sirolimus, ergotamine, or dihydroergotamine.
- Some medicines can affect how posaconazole works. Tell your doctor if you are using cimetidine, cyclosporine, digoxin, esomeprazole, glipizide, metoclopramide, phenytoin, rifabutin, tacrolimus, vinblastine, vincristine, medicine for HIV/AIDS (atazanavir, efavirenz, fosamprenavir, ritonavir), a sedative medicine (alprazolam, midazolam, triazolam), or blood pressure medicine (diltiazem, felodipine, nicardipine, nifedipine, verapamil).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or heart rhythm problems (such as QT prolongation).
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Heart rhythm problems
- Liver problems
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fast, slow, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Severe diarrhea or vomiting
- Swelling in your arms or legs
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Decreased appetite
- Fever or chills
- Mild diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.