Sucroferric oxyhydroxide (By mouth)
Sucroferric Oxyhydroxide (soo-kroe-FER-ik ox-ee-hye-DROX-ide)
Controls the phosphorus levels in the blood of patients who have chronic kidney disease.
VelphoroThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Chew the tablet completely before you swallow. Do not swallow it whole. You may crush the tablet.
- Missed dose: Skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Store in the original package.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not take this medicine together with levothyroxine.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how sucroferric oxyhydroxide works. If you are taking doxycycline, take it at least 1 hour before you take Velphoro®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, stomach or digestive problems, or a history of hemochromatosis (too much iron in the blood). Tell your doctor if you have had surgery on your stomach or digestive system.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dark-colored stools
- Diarrhea, nausea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.