Lucinactant (Into the breathing tube)
Prevents respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) in premature babies.
SurfaxinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Your child should not receive this medicine if he or she has had an allergic reaction to lucinactant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A doctor or other trained health professional will give your child this medicine. This medicine is given directly into your child's lungs through his or her endotracheal (breathing) tube.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows about other medical problems your child may have.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fever, chills, or cough
- Pale or blue skin
- Slow heartbeat
- Trouble breathing that may start suddenly
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, swelling, itching, or burning where the catheter is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved