Bupivacaine liposome (By injection)
Bupivacaine Liposome (bue-PIV-a-kane LYE-poh-some)
Relieves pain after surgery. This medicine is a local anesthetic.
ExparelThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to bupivacaine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine in a hospital. This medicine is given through a needle injected into the surgical site.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are also using other numbing medicines, including other kinds of bupivacaine, such as lidocaine. You should not be given any other kind of bupivacaine for at least 4 days.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine should cause numbness only to the area where it is injected. It is not meant to cause you to fall asleep or become unconscious.
- It may be easier to hurt yourself while your treated body area is still numb. Be careful to avoid injury until you have regained all the feeling and are no longer numb.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Anxiety, depression, restlessness, drowsiness, ringing in your ears, blurred vision
- Chest pain, fast, pounding, slow, or uneven heartbeat, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Nausea, vomiting, chills, metallic taste in your mouth
- Seizures, shivering, shaking, or tremors
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, back pain
- Trouble sleeping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.