Butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine/codeine (By mouth)
Acetaminophen (a-seet-a-MIN-oh-fen), Butalbital (bue-TAL-bi-tal), Caffeine (KAF-een), Codeine Phosphate (KOE-deen FOS-fate)
Treats headaches. This medicine contains a narcotic pain reliever.
Fioricet with CodeineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to butalbital, acetaminophen, caffeine, or codeine, or if you have porphyria.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Do not use more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are also using an MAO inhibitor (MAOI).
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine. Acetaminophen can damage your liver, and alcohol can increase this risk.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, Addison disease, an enlarged prostate, trouble urinating, an underactive thyroid, or stomach problems. Tell your doctor if you have a history of head injury or drug or alcohol addiction.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Liver damage
- Serious skin reactions
- This medicine contains acetaminophen. Read the labels of all other medicines you are using to see if they also contain acetaminophen, or ask your doctor or pharmacist. Do not use more than 4 grams (4,000 milligrams) total of acetaminophen in one day.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone. Medicine that contains codeine can cause serious breathing problems and death in children.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Extreme dizziness or weakness, trouble breathing, slow heartbeat, seizures, and cold, clammy skin
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea or vomiting
- Sleepiness, tiredness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/16/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.