Menthol/methyl salicylate (On the skin)
Menthol (MEN-thol), Methyl Salicylate (METH-il sa-LIS-i-late)
Treats pain. This medicine is a topical analgesic.
Analgesic Balm, Bengay Greaseless, Calypxo, Castiva Cooling, Flexall 454 Maximum Strength, Golden Sunshine Herbal, Golden Sunshine Natural Herbal Pain Terminator, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Muscle Rub, Good Sense Cool 'N' Heat, Good Sense Muscle Rub, Icy Hot, Icy Hot Balm, Menthoderm, Mentholatum Deep Heating, Muscle RubThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to menthol, methyl salicylate, or wintergreen.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Gel/Jelly, Lotion, Ointment
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to apply and how often. Do not use more medicine or apply it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not swallow the medicine.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Do not use this medicine more than 4 times each day.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor. Do not cover the skin with a heating pad.
- Do not use this medicine right after you take a shower or bath.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to aspirin or another salicylate medicine.
- Do not use this medicine on a child younger than 12 years of age unless a doctor tells you to.
- Stop using this medicine if your skin becomes red or irritated.
- Call your doctor if the pain gets worse, lasts longer than 7 days, or gets better and then comes back.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Red, itchy, sore, or painful skin.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.