Rubidium rb 82 (By injection)
Rubidium Chloride Rb 82 (roo-BID-e-um KLOR-ide Rb 82)
Used in adults to help diagnose heart disease during a procedure called a positron emission tomography (PET) scan.
Cardiogen-82 GeneratorThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to rubidium Rb 82.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A doctor or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins just before you have a PET scan.
- You will need to urinate right away and as often as possible for at least one hour after the PET scan.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have congestive heart failure.
- You might receive a medicine to make your heart beat faster. This is called a pharmacologic stress test. It is used together with the PET scan to show how well your heart muscle works when it is stressed. If you have questions about this test, talk to your doctor.
- Your doctor will check your progress very closely while you are receiving this medicine. This will allow your doctor to see if the medicine is working properly and to decide if you should continue to receive it.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.