Dexlansoprazole (By mouth)
Treats heartburn, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), or a damaged esophagus. This medicine is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI).
DexilantThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to dexlansoprazole.
How to Use This Medicine:
Delayed Release Capsule, Tablet Disintegrating, Delayed Release
- Take this medicine as directed. You may need to take it for several weeks before you feel better.
- Delayed-release capsule:
- Swallow it whole. If you cannot swallow the capsule whole, you may open it and pour the medicine into a tablespoon of applesauce. Swallow the mixture right away without chewing. Do not store the mixed medicine for later use.
- If capsule is given through an oral syringe:
- Open the capsule and mix the contents with 20 milliliters (mL) of water.
- Use an oral syringe to draw up all of the mixture and swirl gently.
- Give the mixture right away. Do not chew.
- Refill the syringe with 10 mL of water. Swirl gently. Swallow the water.
- Refill the syringe with another 10 mL of water and swallow it right away. This will make sure you get your whole dose.
- If capsule is given through a feeding tube:
- Open the capsule and combine the medicine with 20 milliliters (mL) of water.
- Use a catheter-tip syringe to draw up the mixture and swirl gently.
- Inject the medicine into the feeding tube right away.
- Refill the syringe with 10 mL of water. Swirl it gently. Inject the water into the tube.
- Refill with another 10 mL of water and inject this into the tube. This will make sure the full dose is given.
- Delayed-release disintegrating tablet:
- Take this medicine at least 30 minutes before a meal.
- Do not break or cut the tablet.
- Place the tablet on the tongue, allow to dissolve, and swallow it without water. Do not chew the microgranules. Or, you may swallow the tablet whole with water.
- If tablet is given through an oral syringe:
- Place one tablet in an oral syringe and draw up 20 milliliters (mL) of water.
- Swirl the syringe gently to keep the granules from settling.
- Give the mixture directly into the mouth right away. Do not store the mixed medicine for later use.
- To rinse any leftover medicine in the syringe, refill the syringe with 10 mL of water, swirl gently and swallow the water.
- Repeat with an additional 10 mL of water.
- If tablet is given through a feeding tube:
- Place one tablet in a catheter-tip syringe and draw up 20 milliliters (mL) of water.
- Shake gently to keep the granules from settling, and inject the medicine into the NG tube right away.
- Refill the syringe with the 10 mL of water.
- Shake it gently, and inject it into the tube to rinse any leftover medicine through the tube.
- Repeat with an additional 10 mL of water.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you are also using products containing rilpivirine.
- Dexlansoprazole affects digestion and may keep other medicines from working correctly. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Ampicillin, atazanavir, dasatinib, digoxin, erlotinib, itraconazole, ketoconazole, methotrexate, mycophenolate mofetil, nelfinavir, nilotinib, rifampin, ritonavir, saquinavir, St John's wort, tacrolimus, voriconazole
- Blood thinner (including warfarin)
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Iron supplements
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, lupus, or osteoporosis.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Kidney problems
- Low vitamin B12 or magnesium levels in the blood
- Increased risk of broken bones in the hip, wrist, or spine
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Fever, joint pain, swelling in your body, unusual weight gain, changes in how much or how often you urinate
- Joint pain, rash on your cheeks or arms that gets worse in the sun
- Seizures, dizziness, fast or uneven heartbeat, muscle cramps or twitching
- Severe diarrhea that does not go away, stomach cramps, fever
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.