Alvimopan (By mouth)
Helps restore bowel function after bowel surgery.
EnteregThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not take it if you had an allergic reaction to alvimopan, or if you used an opioid pain medicine within the past 7 days.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is used only as part of a special program called Entereg® Access Support and Education (E.A.S.E.) in hospitalized patients. It is intended for short-term use only.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how alvimopan works. Tell your doctor if you took an opioid pain medicine (such as codeine, fentanyl, methadone, or morphine) within the past week.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or blocked bowels.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Constipation, passing gas, or diarrhea
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting, or upset stomach
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Back pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.