Sodium bicarbonate (By mouth)
Sodium Bicarbonate (SOE-dee-um bye-KAR-bo-nate)
Treats heartburn, acid indigestion, and sour or upset stomach. This is an antacid.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium bicarbonate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all the other medicines you are using. There are certain prescription medicines that should not be taken together with an antacid.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine contains salt. Talk to your doctor before using this medicine if you are on a low-sodium (low-salt) diet.
- Tell your doctor if your symptoms last for longer than two weeks.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Headache that continues.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Severe stomach pain.
- Shortness of breath, cold sweats, and bluish-colored skin.
- Stomach discomfort that gets worse or new stomach symptoms.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.