Diphtheria/acellular pertussis/tetanus booster vaccine (Tdap) (By injection)
Pertussis Vaccine, Acellular (per-TUS-iss VAX-een, a-SELL-yoo-lar), Reduced Diphtheria Toxoid (ree-DOOST dif-THEER-ee-a TOX-oyd), Tetanus Toxoid (TET-a-nus TOX-oyd)
Protects against infections caused by tetanus (lockjaw), diphtheria, or pertussis (whooping cough). This is a booster vaccine.
Adacel, BoostrixThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this vaccine if you have had an allergic reaction to the separate or combined tetanus, diphtheria, or pertussis vaccine. You should not receive this vaccine if you have had seizures, mental changes, or any other serious reaction within 7 days after you received a pertussis vaccine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- You may receive other vaccines at the same time as this one, but in a different body area. You should receive patient instructions for all of the vaccines. Talk to your doctor or nurse if you have questions.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure the doctor knows if you are receiving a treatment or medicine that weakens your immune system. This includes radiation treatment, steroid medicines (such as dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisolone, prednisone, Medrol®), or cancer medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or have epilepsy, a weak immune system, or a history of a stroke. Tell your doctor if you are sick or have a fever.
- Tell your doctor about any reaction you had after you received a vaccine. This includes fainting, seizures, a fever over 105 degrees F, or severe redness or swelling where the shot was given. Tell your doctor if you have a history of Guillain-Barré syndrome after you received a vaccine with tetanus.
- Call your doctor right away if you faint or have vision changes, numbness or tingling in your arms, hands, or feet, or a seizure after you receive this vaccine.
- Tell your doctor if you have an allergy to latex. The syringes may contain dry natural latex rubber.
- This vaccine will not treat an active infection. If you have a diphtheria, tetanus, or pertussis infection, you will need medicine to treat the infection.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Changes in vision
- Fever over 105 degrees F
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Sudden numbness or weakness in your arms or legs
- Severe pain, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild pain, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved