Monobenzone (On the skin)
Removes color from the normal skin that is next to the skin with vitiligo patches (a skin disorder where white patches are present).
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to monobenzone.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- It may take up to 1 to 4 months for this medicine to work. Ask your doctor if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Intense itching, blistering, burning, or swelling of the skin.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild skin rash, tenderness, or redness.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/16/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.