Pioglitazone/glimepiride (By mouth)
Glimepiride (glye-MEP-ir-ide), Pioglitazone Hydrochloride (pye-oh-GLI-ta-zone hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats type 2 diabetes.
DuetactThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to glimepiride, pioglitazone, or a sulfa drug.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk. Take this medicine with the first meal of the day.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: If you miss a dose of this medicine, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Do not double doses.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor about all other medicines that you are using, including the following:
- Clonidine, fluconazole, gemfibrozil, miconazole, reserpine, rifampin
- Beta-blocker medicine
- If you also take colesevelam, take this medicine at least 4 hours before you take colesevelam.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If you had problems ovulating or have irregular periods, this medicine may cause you to ovulate, which could lead to pregnancy if you are sexually active. Talk to your doctor about effective birth control while you are using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, heart failure, adrenal or pituitary gland problem, G6PD deficiency, macular edema (swelling of the back of the eye), or a history of alcohol abuse or bladder cancer. Also tell your doctor if you drink alcohol.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Increased risk of heart problems
- Low blood sugar levels
- Liver problems
- Increased risk for bladder cancer if you use this medicine for a long time
- Increased risk for broken bones
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Blurred vision or changes in vision
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, painful urination, lower back or side pain, blood in your urine
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet, trouble breathing
- Shaking, trembling, sweating, fast or pounding heartbeat, lightheadedness, hunger, confusion
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Cough, runny or stuffy nose, or sore throat
- Diarrhea, mild nausea, or vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.