Chloroxylenol/pramoxine (Into the ear)
Chloroxylenol (klor-oh-ZYE-le-nol), Pramoxine (pram-OX-een)
Treats outer ear infections and itchiness caused by bacteria or fungi.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to chloroxylenol or pramoxine, or if you have a condition where this medicine can reach the middle ear, such as a punctured eardrum.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only in your ear. Do not swallow the medicine, and do not put it in your eyes.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine. Your doctor may advise you to clean and dry your outer ear and ear canal before using the ear drops.
- You may warm the drops by holding the unopened bottle in your hands for a few minutes.
- Remove the cap. Do not let the tip of the dropper touch anything, including your ear.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side. For a child, gently pull the child's earlobe down and back to straighten the child's ear canal. For an adult, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal.
- Drop the prescribed number of drops into your ear. Keep your ear tilted up for at least 5 minutes. Repeat on the other ear, if needed.
- You may be able to use a special gauze ear plug or cotton wick soaked with the medicine in your ear instead of putting the drops directly into your ear. If you need to use a gauze ear plug or wick, your doctor or health caregiver will tell you how to use it, and how long to keep it in your ear. You may need to keep using this medicine after you take the wick or ear plug out of your ear.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep the bottle closed when you are not using it. Store it at room temperature, away from light and heat. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use other ear medicines while using this medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have other ear infections.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- This medicine should not be used for longer than 10 days unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Use this medicine only to treat the infection your doctor has prescribed it for. Do not use this medicine for any infection that has not been checked by your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe pain or burning when you put the drops in your ear.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.