Desloratadine/pseudoephedrine (By mouth)
Desloratadine (des-lor-A-ta-deen), Pseudoephedrine Sulfate (soo-doe-e-FED-rin SUL-fate)
Treats symptoms of seasonal allergies. This medicine contains an antihistamine and a decongestant.
CLARINEX-D 12 HOUR, Clarinex-D, Clarinex-D 24HRThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to desloratadine, pseudoephedrine, or loratadine, or if you have narrow-angle glaucoma, severe heart disease, severe high blood pressure, or problems urinating.
How to Use This Medicine:
24 Hour Tablet, 12 Hour Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you have used an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days.
- Do not use other antihistamine or decongestant medicines with this medicine, including ones you can buy without a prescription.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Medicine to lower blood pressure
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, glaucoma, thyroid problems, or prostate problems.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Severe nervousness or restlessness, tremors, seizures
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth
- Trouble sleeping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/16/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.