Amylase/cellulase/hyoscyamine/lipase/phenyltoloxamine/protease (By mouth)
Amylase (AM-i-lase), Cellulase (SEL-ue-lase), Hyoscyamine Sulfate (hye-oh-SYE-a-meen SUL-fate), Lipase (LYE-pase), Phenyltoloxamine Citrate (fen-il-tol-OX-a-meen SIT-rate), Protease (PROE-tee-ase)
Treats stomach bloating, gas, and fullness caused by digestion problems ("nervous indigestion"). This medicine is an enzyme supplement.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to pork protein, amylase, cellulase, hyoscyamine, lipase, phenyltoloxamine, or protease. You should not use this medicine if you have glaucoma, myasthenia gravis, an inflamed pancreas, or trouble urinating because of a blockage. Tell your doctor about all digestive problems you have, including colitis, ileus, or a blockage (such as achalasia or pyloric stenosis).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine is usually taken with food, because it helps digestion.
- Do not open the capsule.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if are allergic to pork. Confirm that your doctor knows if you have an ileostomy or colostomy.
- Tell your doctor if you have autonomic neuropathy (trouble with nerves you cannot control), overactive thyroid, or kidney disease. Also tell your doctor if you have heart or circulation problems, including heart disease, high blood pressure, or fast or uneven heartbeat.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have frequent heartburn or trouble swallowing. These could be caused by a hiatal hernia or reflux esophagitis (GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease).
- You might sweat less than normal while using this medicine. This means your body could get too hot, and you could get sick. If you feel too hot, you will need to cool yourself off.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Do not inhale the powder medicine that is inside the capsule.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, trouble seeing, trouble swallowing, restlessness, and hot dry skin.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Skin rash.
- Trouble breathing (if powder was inhaled).
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Dry mouth or eyes.
- Very mild diarrhea.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.