Pegaptanib (By injection)
Treats a disorder of the retina of the eye called macular degeneration.
MacugenThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to pegaptanib, or if you have an eye infection.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is given as an injection into your eyes.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision, stinging or redness of your eyes.
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
- Chest pain, shortness of breath, or trouble breathing.
- Dizziness or giddiness.
- Irritation or pain in your eye.
- Pain in joints or muscles.
- Severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Sudden loss of vision.
- Sudden or severe headache, problems with vision, speech and hearing.
- Swelling, redness, severe pain or itching of your eyes or eyelids.
- Watering of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Loss of appetite.
- Mild diarrhea.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Sensitivity to light.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.