Iloprost (By breathing)
Treats pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
VentavisThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use if you have had an allergic reaction to iloprost.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- You will use this medicine with an inhaler device called a nebulizer. The nebulizer turns the medicine into a fine mist that you breathe in through your mouth and to your lungs. Your caregiver will show you how to use your nebulizer.
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose. Always keep an extra nebulizer on hand in case there are problems with the machine.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Wait at least 2 hours between doses.
- Ventavis® liquid should only be used with the I-neb® AAD® System. Do not mix the Ventavis® liquid with other medicines in the nebulizer.
- Do not drink this medicine and do not allow the liquid to come in contact with your skin or eyes. Rinse it off with water right away if it touches these body areas.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how iloprost works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following medicines:
- Blood pressure medicine
- Blood thinner (such as warfarin)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have low blood pressure, bleeding problems, kidney disease, liver disease, or other lung and breathing problems (such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD], or lung infection).
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Lower blood pressure
- Pulmonary venous hypertension
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you. Stand or sit up slowly if you feel dizzy or lightheaded.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain or trouble breathing
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Trouble opening your mouth, lockjaw
- Trouble sleeping
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.