Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (By mouth)
Omega-3-Acid Ethyl Esters (oh-MAY-ga-3-AS-id ETH-il ES-ters)
Lowers high triglyceride levels.
Lovaza, Omega-3 D-3 Wellness Pack Kit, Sure Result O3D3 System, TrikloThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to omega-3-acid ethyl esters.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed. Take this medicine at the same time each day.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not break, crush, chew, dissolve, or open the capsule. Do not let this medicine come into contact with foam plastic cups (Styrofoam).
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how omega-3-acid ethyl esters work. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- An NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
- A blood thinner (such as warfarin)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, if you have liver disease, an underactive thyroid, a heart rhythm problem, or an allergy to fish or shellfish.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast or uneven heartbeat, dizziness, fainting
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burping, stomach upset
- Change in taste
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.