Guaifenesin/hydrocodone (By mouth)
Guaifenesin (gwye-FEN-e-sin), Hydrocodone (hye-droe-KOE-done)
Treats cough and other symptoms of a cold. This medicine contains a narcotic and a cough suppressant.
Flowtuss, ObredonThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to guaifenesin or hydrocodone.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- An overdose can be dangerous. Follow directions carefully so you do not get too much medicine at one time.
- Oral liquid: Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Drink plenty of liquids to help avoid constipation.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you are using or have used an MAO inhibitor within the past 14 days.
- Some medicines can affect how guaifenesin or hydrocodone works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following medicines:
- Benzodiazepine medicine
- Medicine to treat anxiety, depression, or mental health problems
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, Addison disease, asthma, breathing problems or cough, diabetes, enlarged prostate, thyroid problems, trouble urinating, or recently had a head injury or stomach problems. Tell your doctor if you have been addicted to alcohol or drugs.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- High risk of overdose, which can lead to death
- Respiratory depression (serious breathing problem that can be life-threatening)
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may cause constipation, especially with long-term use. Ask your doctor if you should use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Extreme dizziness, drowsiness, or weakness, trouble breathing, slow heartbeat or breathing, seizures, and cold, clammy skin
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, dizziness
- Nausea, diarrhea
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.