Chlorpheniramine/pseudoephedrine (By mouth)
Chlorpheniramine (klor-fen-IR-a-meen), Pseudoephedrine (soo-doe-e-FED-rin)
Treats sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose, watery eyes, and other symptoms of hay fever, common cold, or other allergies.
Allerest Maximum Strength, LoHist D, Maxichlor PSE, SudoGest Sinus & Allergy, Triaminic Softchew Allergy Runny Nose & CongestionThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to chlorpheniramine, or pseudoephedrine. You should not use this medicine if you are using MAO inhibitors such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate® within the last 14 days. Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 4 years old. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Capsule, Chewable Tablet, Long Acting Capsule, 24 Hour Capsule, Long Acting Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have diabetes, glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure, problems with urination due to enlarged prostate gland, or thyroid disease.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have breathing problems such as asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema. Tell your doctor if you have prolonged cough caused by smoking, or due to breathing problems.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Do not give this medicine to a child under 6 years old unless your doctor says it is okay.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Drowsiness or nervousness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Fussiness in your child.
- Trouble sleeping.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.