Pentetate zinc trisodium (By injection)
Pentetate Zinc Trisodium (PEN-te-tate zink trye-SOE-dee-um )
Removes harmful substances such as plutonium, americium, or curium from your body.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, there is no reason why you should not receive this medicine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Drink extra fluids so you will pass more urine while you are using this medicine. This will prevent the exposure of your bladder from the risks of radiation.
- You may need to take vitamin and mineral supplements while using this medicine. Talk to your doctor about this.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant, breast feeding, or if you have kidney disease.
- While using this medicine your urine, mucus (phlegm from coughing) and stool may contain radioactive substances, which can be harmful to others. Talk with your doctor about the risks and precautions you need to take.
- Your doctor will need to check your blood, stools, or urine at regular visits for several weeks after you have used this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Pain in your lower stomach.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, swelling, burning, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.