Sufentanil (By injection)
Treats pain. May be used along with a numbing medicine during surgery or during childbirth.
SufentaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to sufentanil.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose. This medicine is given through a needle placed into a vein or into your back (spinal cord).
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how sufentanil works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, erythromycin, ketoconazole, mirtazapine, phenytoin, rifampin, ritonavir, tramadol, trazodone
- Blood pressure medicine
- Diuretic (water pill)
- MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days
- Medicine to treat anxiety, depression, or mental health problems
- Triptan medicine to treat migraine headaches
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol. Tell your doctor if you are using buprenorphine, butorphanol, nalbuphine, pentazocine, or a muscle relaxer.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, breathing or lung problems, gallbladder problems, pancreas problems, slow heartbeat, or a history of seizures, head injury, or brain tumor. Tell your doctor if you have been addicted to drugs or alcohol.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- High risk of overdose, which can lead to death
- Respiratory depression (serious breathing problem that can be life-threatening)
- May increase risk for muscle rigidity or movement
- Serotonin syndrome (when used with certain medicines)
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may cause constipation, especially with long-term use. Ask your doctor if you should use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
- This medicine could cause infertility. Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you plan to have children.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Anxiety, restlessness, fast heartbeat, fever, muscle spasms, twitching, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seeing or hearing things that are not there
- Blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- Chest pain, trouble breathing
- Extreme dizziness or weakness, shallow breathing, slow or uneven heartbeat, sweating, cold or clammy skin, seizures
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Severe confusion, lightheadedness or fainting
- Stiffness in the muscles of your neck, chest, hands, or legs
- Twitching or muscle movements you cannot control
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot was given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.