Perflutren protein type A microsphere (By injection)
Perflutren Protein Type A Microsphere (per-FLOO-tren PROE-teen type A MYE-kroe-sfeers)
Used during an echocardiogram to help show the inside of your heart.
OptisonThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to perflutren protein type A microsphere, blood, blood products, or albumin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a congenital heart defect, heart disease, congestive heart failure, heart rhythm problem, heart attack, or lung disease.
- This medicine contains albumin, which is made from human blood. All donated blood is tested for certain viruses. Although your risk for getting a virus from the medicine is very low, talk with your doctor if you have concerns.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing
- Fast, slow, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Redness, pain, itching, or rash where the needle is placed
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.