Physostigmine (By injection)
Physostigmine Salicylate (fye-soe-STIG-meen sa-LIS-i-late)
Reverses the effects of other drugs.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not receive this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to physostigmine, or if you have asthma, diabetes, or heart disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein or as a shot into a muscle.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have asthma or are allergic to sulfites. Also tell your doctor if you have problems with your intestines or trouble urinating.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Excessive watering in your mouth
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate
- Severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, or swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot is given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved