Secretin (By injection)
Used as part of a medical test of the pancreas.
ChirhostimThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had allergic reaction to secretin. You should not receive this medicine if you currently have pancreatitis.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicines such as atropine, dicyclomine, glycopyrrolate, scopolamine, Bentyl®, Robinul®, or Transderm Scop®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have any allergy or asthma.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver disease, or disease of intestine or have had any bowel surgery. Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol on a regular basis.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody vomiting.
- Slow heartbeat, lightheadedness or fainting.
- Sudden or severe stomach pain.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild fever, headache, or weakness.
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Numbness, or tingling in your hands or legs.
- Mild itching or skin rash.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.