Talc (Around the lungs)
Prevents fluid or air build-up in your chest area around your lungs. Also prevents fluid build-up around your lungs that is caused from cancer.
Sclerosol IntrapleuralThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to talc or talcum powder, or you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
Powder Under Pressure
- A doctor will give you this medicine during a medical procedure, including thoracoscopy or open thoracotomy. This medicine is sprayed or injected through a tube into your chest and around the lungs.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Use effective birth control during treatment and for at least 5 months after the last dose.
- Do not breastfeed while you are using this medicine and for at least 5 months after the last dose.
- Tell your doctor if you have other lung problems.
- This medicine may cause other breathing problems, including pneumonitis (swelling in the lungs) and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).
- This medicine could cause infertility. Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you plan to have children.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, coughing up blood
- Fast or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bleeding, swelling, warmth, or pain on your skin where the spray tube was inserted
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.