Norepinephrine (By injection)
Treats low blood pressure and heart failure.
Levophed, Levophed Bitartrate, NOVPLUS LevophedThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have a history of blood clots.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using an MAO inhibitor such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate®. Tell your doctor if you are also using medicine for depression such as amitryptiline, nortryptiline, doxepin, Elavil®, Pamelor®, or Sinequan®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- This medicine contains sodium metabisulfite, a sulfite that may cause an allergic reaction. Make sure your doctor knows if you have had an allergic reaction to sulfite in the past.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have asthma or high blood pressure. Tell your doctor if you have other medical problems.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blackish-color of your toes.
- Chest pain.
- Pain, itching, swelling, burning or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Slow or uneven heartbeat.
- Vomiting, or severe stomach pain.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety or headache.
- Increased sweating.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 12/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.