Ethacrynate sodium (By injection)
Ethacrynate Sodium (eth-a-KRIN-ate SOE-dee-um)
Quickly lowers the amount of fluid in your body.
Ethacrynate Sodium Novaplus, PremierPro Rx Ethacrynate Sodium, Sodium EdecrinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ethacrynate sodium or if you have had severe diarrhea caused by this medicine. You should not receive this medicine if you cannot urinate. This medicine should not be given to a baby.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using digoxin (Lanoxin®, Digitek®), lithium, or a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin®).
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a diuretic ("water pill") such as hydrochlorothiazide, furosemide, torsemide, Demadex®, Lasix®, Aldactone®, Maxzide®, or Lozol®.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a steroid medicine (such as dexamethasone, prednisolone, prednisone, or Medrol®) or blood pressure medicine such as atenolol, metoprolol, lisinopril, quinapril, Accupril®, Cozaar®, Diovan®, Lotrel®, Norvasc®, Toprol®, or Zestril®.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are on a salt restricted diet, or on salts containing potassium.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using before receiving this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver disease, heart disease, or diabetes.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody vomit or bloody stools.
- Confusion, weakness, or muscle twitching.
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea, or vomiting.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, or body aches.
- Light-headedness or fainting.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
- Severe watery diarrhea.
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or fever.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising or weakness.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Loss of appetite or trouble swallowing.
- Mild headache, tiredness, or confusion.
- Mild nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Mild skin rash.
- Pain in your joints.
- Pain, itching, swelling, burning, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Ringing in your ears, trouble hearing, or dizziness.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.