Alfentanil (By injection)
Used during surgery to control pain and keep you asleep.
Alfentanil NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to alfentanil or to other pain medicines, such as morphine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how alfentanil works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- An MAOI, such as isocarboxazid, phenelzine, selegiline, tranylcypromine
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a brain injury, lung disease, kidney disease, or liver disease. Tell your doctor if you used an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) in the past 14 days.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision
- Confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, or agitation
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Severe nausea or vomiting
- Stiffness in the muscles of your neck, chest, hands, or legs
- Trouble breathing, or chest tightness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild skin rash or itching
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
- Twitching or muscle movements you cannot control
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.