Ascorbic acid (By injection)
Ascorbic Acid (as-KORE-bik AS-id)
Treats and prevents scurvy (lack of vitamin C in your body). This medicine also helps wound healing in fractures and burns.
Mega-C/A PlusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ascorbic acid.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot under your skin, into a muscle, or into a vein.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container away from children and pets.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are on salt restricted diet.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking any blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Let your doctor know if you have diabetes or kidney disease or if you are prone to kidney stones.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dizziness or fainting.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Irritation at the site of injection.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.