Dimethyl sulfoxide (Inside the bladder)
Dimethyl Sulfoxide (dye-METH-il sul-FOX-ide)
Treats interstitial cystitis (inflammation of the bladder).
Rimso-50There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dimethyl sulfoxide.
How to Use This Medicine:
- This medicine may be given to you by a health care professional, or you may be taught how to give this medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself this medicine. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. This medicine is put directly into your bladder.
- You may need use medicine to prevent bladder pain or spasms before you use dimethyl sulfoxide. Follow your doctor's instructions.
- This medicine may cause a garlic-like taste in your mouth, or garlic odor on your breath or skin.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Make sure your doctor knows if you have a history of eye problems, or cancer of your urinary tract. Tell your doctor about any other medicine you are using.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments. You may also need to have eye exams regularly while using this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling to tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain or bladder spasms when using this medicine.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.