Chondrocytes, autologous cultured (Implant)
Chondrocytes, Autologous Cultured (KON-droe-sites, aw-TALL-oh-gus KUL-cherd)
Repairs cartilage in your knee joint after an injury.
CarticelThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to gentamicin, or similar medicines, or products made from cows.
How to Use This Medicine:
- This medicine will be injected into your knee joint with a needle during surgery.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Your doctor will give you directions on how to care for your knee joint and when to exercise after your surgery.
- You may have to walk with crutches for several days after your surgery.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a cancer near the injured knee.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fever or chills
- Redness, pain, or swelling of your knee joint
- Sharp pain or "locking" when you try to move your knee joint
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Increased growth of scar over your knee joint
- Noise or "catching" in your knee joint when you walk
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.