Hylan G-f 20 (By injection)
Hylan Polymers A and B (HYE-lan POL-a-mers A and B)
Treats knee pain caused by osteoarthritis.
Synvisc, Synvisc Hylan GF, Synvisc OneThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to hyaluronan (sodium hyaluronate) products.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how many injections you will need. This medicine is injected into your knee joint.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a skin disease or infection near or in your joint. Also tell your doctor if you are allergic to birds, feathers, or eggs, or if you have poor circulation or a history of blood clots in your legs.
- Rest your knee for 48 hours after you receive this medicine. Do not do strenuous weightbearing activities, such as jogging or tennis, for at least 48 hours after your injection. Put ice on your joint if you have mild swelling.
- Your doctor might have to remove fluid from your joint before injecting this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe redness, swelling, pain, or stiffness in your joint
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild increase in pain, swelling, or stiffness in your knee
- Mild pain, redness, or swelling where the medicine was injected
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.